[nycbug-talk] The truth about Cat6

Bruno Scap mlists
Tue Apr 20 11:20:56 EDT 2004

On Tue, Apr 20, 2004 at 10:11:41AM -0400, Isaac Levy wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> Had a quick question for all the networking hardcores on this wire-
> I'm gonna be running some ethernet around my home office and am
> wondering if the double price of Cat6 is worthwhile, seeing as all the
> cheap gigabit switches out there state they'll work aok with Cat5
> etc...
>
> Context: I'm a web app developer and have lots of dev servers floating
> in and out of here, gigabit nics in most things I touch- and now I have
> a need to run ethernet in here, and don't want to make a dumb choice if
> Cat6 really is important.. (I don't wanna replace cables in 2 yrs...)
>
> Anybody have any good opinion or experience?

Cat6 is a higher quality and higher performance cable than Cat5e. Most
likely, if you ever want to push above 1 Gbit, (10 Gb?), Cat5e
won't be able to do it. Even at Giga speeds, Cat6 should perform
better, since it has better immunity from external noise, etc.
Keep in mind I have no direct experience with Cat6, just trying to
outline what seems to be the difference between the two.

Bruno
--
Reliable Business E-mail Hosting
http://www.bizintegrators.com