[nycbug-talk] Survey for upcoming 'Hacking iBook'

G. Rosamond george
Tue Apr 20 21:48:07 EDT 2004

Sunny says. . .

>I've noticed that many of you *bsd guys are totally gung-ho on
>apple ....
>Yet I'm not going to deny that there are many of us who are
>taking a much
>more pragmatic "wait-and-see" attitude ...
>
>Now that my colors have been exposed, I think it is fair that
>everyone reads
>the following comment from that specific Slashdot article itself.
>
>http://apple.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=103252&cid=8797090

I ordered an ibook today.

The first reason to note why so many BSD people are into Apples is that
it's likely the second most popular desktop in the world, and it's
running BSD, even with the drop.

The fact that you can have a secure GUI desktop or laptop, and still
have access to the BSD backend is a wonderful privilege.

When Apple first came out with OS X, I was stunned.  What's a better
than synthesizing the most stable, secure os around with the best gui?
Never imaginged it, but am totally happy about it.

There are issues, of course, particuarly about Apple's contributions to
the BSD's, as came up in response to an OSViews article. . .

http://undeadly.org/cgi?action=article&sid=20040309150310

Nevertheless, it's little wonder that *BSD-heads are into Apple.

I think having a strong, active BSD User Group in NYC can assist the
relation further.  User Groups can impact large corporations to some
extent.

I think the rep's from Apple at our last meeting were thoroughly
impressed by the depth of the audience's interest and questions, the
fact that their were over 40 some-odd people in the room, and that most
importantly, everyone sat engrossed during the entire 2 hour
presentation.

Sunny, why don't you explain why so many Linux people are so anti-Apple?
Although I know most of the answers. . .