[nycbug-talk] Survey for upcoming 'Hacking iBook'

Sunny Dubey sunny-ml
Tue Apr 20 22:21:12 EDT 2004

On Tuesday 20 April 2004 09:48 pm, G. Rosamond wrote:

> http://undeadly.org/cgi?action=article&sid=20040309150310

I've seen the link posted in that story floated around the intraweb.  So far
the general consensus I've seen is that the story has its facts backwards
and that the author shouldn't be allowed to write on this subject again,
heh.

> Sunny, why don't you explain why so many Linux people are so anti-Apple?
> Although I know most of the answers. . .

We're not anti-apple, (at least I'm not) especially now that Yellow Dog has
a full blown PPC64 port of linux, heh.  However us "linux people" are used
to getting our contributions from the likes of the GNU/Redhat/SuSe/IBM, and
*not* apple.  We have watched the GNU write amazing tools from almost
nothing, Redhat/SuSe contribute in large ways to the kernel, XFree86(and
now fd.o/Xorg), the GCC, and companes like IBM hire hackers for really
random things (the DRI comes to mind), etc, etc.  Yet in all honesty we
simply aren't aware of the supposed amazing contributions apple has given
back to FLOSS (this has nothing to do with linux)

I'm not here to start another mindless flame-thread.  Just here to present a
different mentality.  This is my last post for this thread.  I just don't
care, finito.

Sunny Dubey

PS:  To Bob Ippolito, I suggest you find better reasons than linux users not
affording apple's hardware as reasons why we are more hesitant than most
*BSD folks. Additionally compiling bucket loads of software is something is
linux users have yerned for from the *BSD port's tree.  (And something *BSD
users have always bragged to us {S}RPM/DEB/ETC dwellers)  I guess it would
take a *real* bsd user to know that ...  I was expecting *much* better and
I am somewhat disappointed.