[nycbug-talk] Survey for upcoming 'Hacking iBook'

Bob Ippolito bob
Tue Apr 20 22:39:00 EDT 2004

On Apr 20, 2004, at 10:21 PM, Sunny Dubey wrote:

> I'm not here to start another mindless flame-thread.  Just here to
> present a
> different mentality.  This is my last post for this thread.  I just
> don't
> care, finito.
>
> Sunny Dubey
>
> PS:  To Bob Ippolito, I suggest you find better reasons than linux
> users not
> affording apple's hardware as reasons why we are more hesitant than
> most
> *BSD folks. Additionally compiling bucket loads of software is
> something is
> linux users have yerned for from the *BSD port's tree.  (And something
> *BSD
> users have always bragged to us {S}RPM/DEB/ETC dwellers)  I guess it
> would
> take a *real* bsd user to know that ...  I was expecting *much* better
> and
> I am somewhat disappointed.

I thought it was obvious that my comments were light hearted and
verging on troll.. but wipe that aside and the only reasons I have
heard from OSS developers are either price, political, or win32... but
mostly price.

That said, I know a bunch of people that choose to run Debian or the
like on their iBooks, and it suits them just fine.  iBooks/Powerbooks
are probably the best portable platform for ANY *nix right now, whether
it's running Linux, FreeBSD, OS X, etc.

-bob