[nycbug-talk] Re: Women in Open Source (fwd)

Pete Wright pete
Mon Aug 2 23:50:21 EDT 2004

Marc Spitzer wrote:

>One of my opinions on BSD vs Linux mindset is as follows:
>
>BSD is old school, aka MIT AI koans.  Where the student is trying to
>impress the *Professor*.  So the reward, recognition, comes from
>thinking about hard problems and then implementing the solution.  The
>fact that you wrote lots of code is besides the point, its a given.
>
>Linux is new school.  The students are trying to impress the other
>students. And these people are not yet wise enough to realize that
>coding is all things considered the easy bit.  This leads to the
>fascination with reimplementing the designs of others, instead of
>writing 1/5 the code and spending 10X the effort to do something NEW.

yea i'm not too sure about that.  there are alot of gnu/linux developers
that have been around for a *long* time.  Maybe the user base has that
feeling about that, or even the /. crowd, but I would not say that that
is a fair picture to paint of the core devs on the kernel team, or even
alot of the people that work with linux in different ways (Jim Gettys
who helped create the X windows system at MIT for example, or even Keith
Packard, Donal Becker).  look i'm trying to flame here, i just think we
should keep things in perspective...

-p

--
~~~oO00Oo~~~