[nycbug-talk] Flash petition 479 and counting. . .

G.Rosamond george
Tue Aug 17 17:44:19 EDT 2004

On Aug 17, 2004, at 4:43 PM, alex at pilosoft.com wrote:

> OK. I'm macromedia project manager in charge of Flash. I see 500 bsd
> users
> who want flash for bsd. My techs say its ~200 manhours [optimistic
> estimate] to do the port, proper release engineering, documentation,
> etc.
> Would I do it? Hell no, it additional exposure to flash just isn't
> worth
> it to the company.

Gee. . .I had you confused with a guy who ran a colo facility in
downtown Manhattan. . .

> Basic math: 10k$ to port. say, 10000 users to gain. Can Macromedia
> expect
> revenue from their products to justify it? Unlikely.
>
> Unfortunately, BSD users are just *too damn small of a user base* to
> care
> about for a company that wants to take money. Get used to it.

Agree it's an uphill battle with desktop software, although note
Mozilla, OpenOffice, etc.  But of course those are open source
projects.

However, it's also true that on the backend Oracle, has given more
attention to the BSDs.  And apparently Intel is now calling the OpenBSD
developers, instead of them chasing Intel people.

But that's still not desktop closed source software . . .

Still doesn't hurt to make the effort. . .