[nycbug-talk] Mac OSX Troubleshooting tools

Bob Ippolito bob
Sat Dec 18 21:30:38 EST 2004

On Dec 18, 2004, at 8:37 PM, Pete Wright wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 18, 2004 at 01:53:02PM -0500, Bob Ippolito wrote:

>>> [gman at GMans-Computer gman]$ iostat
>>> iostat: sysctl(kern.tty_nin) failed: No such file or directory
>>> iostat: disabling TTY statistics
>>>          disk0       cpu
>>>  KB/t tps  MB/s  us sy id
>>> 15.17   8  0.11  16  6 78
>>> [gman at GMans-Computer gman]$ uname -a
>>> Darwin GMans-Computer.local 7.7.0 Darwin Kernel Version 7.7.0: Sun
>>> Nov
>>> 7 16:06:51 PST 2004; root:xnu/xnu-517.9.5.obj~1/RELEASE_PPC  Power
>>> Macintosh powerpc
>>> [gman at GMans-Computer gman]$
>>
>> The man page says that iostat gives you some metric of system
>> statistics averaged over your uptime.  It doesn't really say much
>> about
>> the performance of your machine, it's really more of a "how much stuff
>> did you compile today?" kind of statistic :)
>>

> errrr...sorta.  if you iostat over time you can gain a metric of
> transactions per sec. and kb. per trans. etc...  From those metrics
> it's
> quite easy to deduce where potential bottlenecks may be etc.

I don't really agree.  From a little tinkering, I don't see how you
could use iostat to find bottlenecks unless you're running at max load
and looking at incremental statistics (but even then... I wouldn't
really trust it).  For example, looking at the I/O while I'm playing
iTunes isn't going to tell me where any bottleneck is, it's just going
to tell me that my disk is getting hit once or twice for about 70k
every two or three seconds when playing an mp3.  I have no idea if
that's coming from cache (kernel, disk, raid, or otherwise), or even if
it's iTunes making those transactions (probably a lot of them are
actually from Mail, not iTunes).  It would say more or less the same
thing on a powerbook with a 4800 RPM harddrive as it would on a dual G5
with an Xserve RAID SAN full of 15krpm harddrives.

Then again, maybe I'm missing something, but it doesn't seem like it's
capable of really answering the original question about the max disk
throughput and and the performance of the RAID cache given various data
sets.  iostat will tell you the average disk throughput of the
applications you're running over some time interval, which is of course
going to be somewhere between zero and the max throughput, but probably
closer to zero :)

>> If you pass it a wait argument, *and* you are putting some serious I/O
>> load on your machine, then you might see something useful.. but it
>> sure
>> seems like this is the wrong tool for this job.
>
> have you used iostat?  While I don't think it's by any means a "one
> stop" utility, but I don't think one would want to use one
> utility/metric for this type work.

No, I haven't ever tried to make it do anything useful.  I use other
tools, especially Shark, but that's primarily useful for software
developers not system architects.

-bob