[nycbug-talk] Streaming Server on BSD

Charles Sprickman spork
Mon Dec 27 21:22:01 EST 2004

On Tue, 28 Dec 2004, Mikel King wrote:

> As for streaming servers, depends on the content...there's a streamer there
> for vlc, and of course there's mod_mp3.

On the video side, I've used vlc as a client on my Mac quite a bit.  With
the vlc streaming server though, what common players (read: Windows) can
view the stream?  The last time I looked at all this mess, I had a hard
time figuring it out.  I still run a real networks freebie server.  It's a
bit of work to setup, but the one I'm running is FreeBSD native and it
works well.  It really wants to run as root, so there's some fiddling with
ipf there to redirect the standard rtsp port to something the priv-less
real server user can grab.

Charles