[nycbug-talk] [Fwd: Re: Announcement: New York *BSD usergroupformed]

Marc Spitzer mspitze1
Wed Jan 14 23:38:11 EST 2004

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 22:38:14 -0500
Aron Roberts <aron at slam.cc> wrote:

> Yeah but I think you are missing his point about original SunOS....

I am aware of the history, I worked on hpux 9.X wich was also bsd based
and apollo domain(what HP bought to get into the workstation market) boxes in college.  But with that said if you talk Sun today you are talking Solaris and it is that simple.  And the only reason that unix
converged the way it did in the 80's and 90's was that for cheap money
you could buy the basis of your OS cutting a year off of the development time.  And even current Unix is still not where VAX/VMS was back in 1990.  And in many ways it could have been done much better, root is
a design flaw and /etc/passwd with the passwords world readable was also just not a good idea.

marc