[nycbug-talk] [Fwd: Re: Announcement: New York *BSD usergroupformed]

Aron Roberts aron
Wed Jan 14 22:38:14 EST 2004

On Jan 14, 2004, at 10:04 PM, Marc Spitzer wrote:

> On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 21:01:21 -0500
> "Rodrick R. Brown" <rbrown at rodrickbrown.com> wrote:
>

>> "no one would argue that, despite how much code sun may have borrowed
>> from bsd."
>>
>> As an Advid Solaris GURU @ work I have to defend SUN here, SUN was BSD
>> way before FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD were conceived.
>>
>> SunOS userland and kernel were BSD in the core from the start :)
>
> Let me say I like Solaris but it is not bsd based it is System V based
> with a bunch of bsd tools in /usr/ucb and usr/ccs/ now if you want to
> talk about SunOS then it was bsd based but sun has killed the product
> off in favor of Solaris.  And when you talk about Sun today you talk
> about Solaris.  And I have an ultra 60 at home.

Yeah but I think you are missing his point about original SunOS....

if it were not for some stupid BBS in Seattle I was on where I had to
learn SunOS 4.x.x_x (blah blah) I don't think I would have ever turned
into a UNIX geek. And it was all BSD before they went to "Solaris"

So yes the product is dead... but it doesn't remove the history of what
you used "back in the day"