[nycbug-talk] brief USENIX report

G.Rosamond george
Thu Jul 1 11:07:30 EDT 2004

On Jul 1, 2004, at 8:27 AM, Trish Lynch wrote:

> On Wed, 30 Jun 2004, G.Rosamond wrote:
>
>> Well, Jesse and I have been in Boston at USENIX since early Monday
>> afternoon.
>>
>> Jesse is heading back to NYC tonight, and I'll be here until Friday.
>>
>> We have only some a little time in the meetings.  Last nights meeting
>> by Kirk McKusick and Pete Salus about the history of UNIX was the only
>> full meeting I have personally attended so far. . .and it was
>> brilliant.  Lots of stuff on the earlier notions of 'open source'
>> development with programs such as vi, the legal BSD battles, etc.
>>

> Kirk's history meetings are always great, see my USENIX report in
> Daemon
> News like years ago (1999 I think, in Monterey)

complete fabrication Trish. . .oh, you mean
http://ezine.daemonnews.org/199909/usenix-kirk.html?

>> We have gotten to know so so many people.  Great conversations with
>> Michael Lucas, Eric Allman, Scott Long of FBSD, Bosco of FBSD, Andrew
>> who lives in Queens and is a NetBSD developer. . .so many very cool
>> people.
>>

> USENIX is great for that :) I miss everyone actually.
>
>> Since we were in the publisher's area with BSDMall/DN, we were with
>> Addison Wesley, ORA and No Starch.  We had many extended discussions
>> with all of the publishers.
>>

> Bill Pollack from No Starce is a trip, eh?

He was supposed to be at our Apple meeting with Grant from ORA. . .

We spent lots of time talking to him. . .he's from Queens originally. .
.

He's remarkably democratic for a book publisher. . . <g>

>> We hopefully can have Kirk McKusick do a special meeting in October,
>> when he's in the city. . .it will coincide with the updating of The
>> Design and Implementation of the FreeBSD Operating System. . .being
>> released by Addison Wesley in the next couple of months.
>>

> That would be great, it would be nice seeing Kirk again... its been
> since
> 2k1.
>
>> Everyone who has an iBook or a PowerBook now has a Daemon sticker. .
>> .of course.
>>
>> Jesse spent some quality time with Daryl, a NetBSD developer, trying
>> dual boot his OSX PowerBook with NetBSD, and is just caught up with
>> keyboard issues.
>>

> I wonder if they can help me boot NetBSD on my air purifier...

Jesse should be putting together some documentation on the NetBSD dual
boot on his PowerBook.

Right Jesse?

>> Anyway, sorry that more of you couldn't make it, but we'll be sure to
>> fill you in. . .We have a box of the USENIX magazines for distribution
>> at the next meeting. . .

> You mean ;login?
>
> Yay!

Big fat box. . .I'm seeing what I can snag of the conference
documentation.