[nycbug-talk] secure fest: BSD on a classic VALinux server

Marco Scoffier marco
Wed Jun 9 17:03:48 EDT 2004

On Wed, Jun 09, 2004 at 04:17:33PM -0400, Trish Lynch wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Jun 2004 marco at metm.org wrote:
>
> > I have no idea if anyone is up to this, but I am going to install
> > FreeBSD on a VALinux server which I will use to replace the rag-tag
> > group of linux boxen which make up my home servers.
> >
> >   It's a pretty nice machine from the 2200 series
> >   -- Mylex DAC960 raid controller, with hotswappable ultra scsi disks
> >   -- SMP capable motherboard with one 800Mhz cpu.
> >   -- Intel everything else
> >   -- I even have a manual
> >
> of course you realize I've put lots of these up at OSDN with FreeBSD on
> them right?
At the last meeting when George introduced you as next month's speaker,
he did mention that you were using BSD at VA.

It so happens that this box came into my possesion last weekend, and I
thought that it might be with a bit of glee that some BSD'ers would
gather around it and work their magic.

In the quick research I did, it seems that b/c of the Mylex controller
and the SMP board that FreeBSD is the best option.  Even if this weekend
doesn't pan out I'm sure I'll have some questions, and the invitation to
hold a BSDfest holds.

--
Marco