[nycbug-talk] hand wringing

Bob Ippolito bob
Sun May 2 21:05:46 EDT 2004

On May 2, 2004, at 6:09 PM, pete at nomadlogic.org wrote:

>> Have YOU used Visual Studio .NET?  I'm not often a windows developer,
>> but when I am, it sure beats the hell out of the gcc toolchain for
>> most
>> things.
>
> i thought Visual Studio .NET was an IDE with the windows compiler
> intergrated into it.  and if i'm not mistaken, gcc stands for Gnu
> Compiler
> Collection which is not an IDE.

The IDE and debugger in VS.NET, in my experience, is much more feature
complete and reliable than anything equivalent in the open source
world.  Someone highly experienced in something like Emacs or Eclipse
can probably achieve the same or better productivity for writing
regular 'ol code, but there's one heck of a learning curve.  What most
people probably miss about the VS.NET IDE at first glance is the
integration with their other stuff: debugging/developing SQL Server
databases and stored procedures, local and remote debugging of IIS (and
other COM/DCOM type environments), JScript debugging, etc.

Microsoft's compilers are more efficient and produce more efficient
code than GCC on x86.  The C++ 'support' is a little different, but
most people avoid doing the sort of magic that breaks or otherwise
confuses C++ compilers.  g++ is not perfect either, I've seen correct
C++ code cause g++ to segfault.

That said, I'm mostly just playing devil's advocate here.  I do most of
my development these days on OS X (targeting several platforms, but
sometimes just OS X) with Python, GCC, Vim and Xcode/Interface
Builder.. but I've used Microsoft's tools and they are much better than
any of you are giving them credit for when you're developing for their
platform with their technologies.  It's pretty much the same story with
Apple's tools, but in many cases they're just lipstick on a pig
(gcc/gdb).  Compilation is slow, it produces slow code (in comparison
to CodeWarrior or XL), and the debugger in Xcode is just a frontend to
GDB so it can be expected to crash or produce incorrect results once
you start using any of its advanced features.

-bob