[nycbug-talk] hand wringing

Pete Wright pete
Sun May 2 21:16:59 EDT 2004

Bob Ippolito wrote:

> On May 2, 2004, at 6:09 PM, pete at nomadlogic.org wrote:
>
>>> Have YOU used Visual Studio .NET?  I'm not often a windows developer,
>>> but when I am, it sure beats the hell out of the gcc toolchain for most
>>> things.
>>

>> i thought Visual Studio .NET was an IDE with the windows compiler
>> intergrated into it.  and if i'm not mistaken, gcc stands for Gnu
>> Compiler
>> Collection which is not an IDE.
>

> The IDE and debugger in VS.NET, in my experience, is much more feature
> complete and reliable than anything equivalent in the open source
> world.  Someone highly experienced in something like Emacs or Eclipse
> can probably achieve the same or better productivity for writing
> regular 'ol code, but there's one heck of a learning curve.  What most
> people probably miss about the VS.NET IDE at first glance is the
> integration with their other stuff: debugging/developing SQL Server
> databases and stored procedures, local and remote debugging of IIS
> (and other COM/DCOM type environments), JScript debugging, etc.

that's really interesting, i spend most of my time being a sys admin and
have always had problems debugging running systems on Win32 compared to
unix.  that is obviously coming from a different perspective than a
programmer tho...

> Microsoft's compilers are more efficient and produce more efficient
> code than GCC on x86.  The C++ 'support' is a little different, but
> most people avoid doing the sort of magic that breaks or otherwise
> confuses C++ compilers.  g++ is not perfect either, I've seen correct
> C++ code cause g++ to segfault.

yea no wonder so many people use QT etc...

> That said, I'm mostly just playing devil's advocate here.  I do most
> of my development these days on OS X (targeting several platforms, but
> sometimes just OS X) with Python, GCC, Vim and Xcode/Interface
> Builder.. but I've used Microsoft's tools and they are much better
> than any of you are giving them credit for when you're developing for
> their platform with their technologies.  It's pretty much the same
> story with Apple's tools, but in many cases they're just lipstick on a
> pig (gcc/gdb).  Compilation is slow, it produces slow code (in
> comparison to CodeWarrior or XL), and the debugger in Xcode is just a
> frontend to GDB so it can be expected to crash or produce incorrect
> results once you start using any of its advanced features.

that's really interesting.  i've been very interested in Xcode, but have
not had a chance to check it out.  what other alternative compilers
could apple use to get away from gcc?  does ibm produce a compiler that
apple could adopt on the ppc64 chip?

-pete