[nycbug-talk] NYCLAB?

Mikel King mikel.king
Mon May 24 22:05:03 EDT 2004

G.Rosamond wrote:

> On May 24, 2004, at 8:05 PM, Josh McCormack wrote:
>

>> Mikel King wrote:

>>> A win2k3 box, and some sort of MAC OS 10.x
>>> Therefore I shall see what I can do about the 4 intel based boxes
>>

>> Was it decided what tests would be done?
>>

> I'm a bit confused myself Josh.  I think some people are focused on
> network protocols, which was the initial theme. . .
>
>> If there will be time in addition to whatever other tests you want to
>> run, I'd like to do compare FOSS VPN options on different platforms
>> and how they interact.
>>

> I think that would be a great thing to test in a lab format.  But it's
> probably better to do these tests separately.  The KISS principle, as
> Peter stated, should reign supreme.
>
>> When I asked about it before there was one person interested, who
>> didn't have time. If this is way too boring for everyone
>> (understandable!), if your client has extra junkers destined for the
>> dumpster I'd like to grab a couple, if I could, to try it out on my own.
>>
>> Josh
>

> Let's do it in a group.  I'd like to be part of these lab sessions
> too. . .and I'm sure others would too.
>
> We need to clarify time, place, date, and the two people responsible
> for the base setup.
>
> And before that, there needs to be some consensus on the test parameters.

All I am trying to do is get us a lab to work in for right now, and to
possibly get the base systems completed as quickly as possible so that
we can then take application for lab time...sounds too much like college
but I am certain that we would all agee this this will require some sort
of structure if we are to pull it off. I made the initial request to my
client for the loaner boxes. And I am working on some space here at OCS
for hosting them. Since most of the initial testing wont require any
real b/w it will not be a serious problem. once the machines are aquired
and setup then  we will define the experiments, and grant remote access.

No sense having to crowd around the machines to get the job done right.
Of course if you are buying, the pizza and beer then I'm game...;-)

I think that now would be the time to decide which OSes/rev we are going
to use a test platforms. I will supply and setup Win2k3 and fBSD5.x, but
will definately need help with nBSD and oBSD, as well as any MAC stuff
should we get lucky enough to find a matched class of machine.

Of course this could all be premature if the client isn't willing to
part with these machines even for a limitted basis. Think positivly,
because how often do you stumble across a batch of identical hardware.

--
Cheers,
Mikel King

You may like them. You will see. You may
like them in a tree.
http://www.FreeBSD.org
http://www.OpenOffice.org
http://www.Mozilla.org
http://www.MySql.org
How do you spell cooperation? Pessimists use each other,
but optimists help each other. Collaboration feeds your
spirit, while competition only stokes your ego.