[nycbug-talk] silly snarf tricks

Mikel King mikel.king
Wed May 26 21:19:02 EDT 2004

    A while back I was playing around with snarf which is a command line
utility for pulling web content...Ok so no real big deal there FreeBSD
has fetch which does the same thing. However snarf is cool in that you
can drop a switch that tells it to return a precompiled HTTP_USER_AGENT.

    Now aside from messing with my web developers heads a bit, cause I
modified the code to return a (Mozilla 5; on a Banana Jr 2000...) and
lately I've changed it to match my FreeBSD 5.1 install on my laptop.
Then I scripted it in a cron job to run once a minute and grab 5 pages
from our company website. OK this really screwed with the web
stats...but it was harmless fun. I mean we now get 3800 hits per day
from a machine pretending to be Mozilla 1.6 on FreeBSD 5.1.

    I guess what I am wondering is if anyone can devise a praticle use
for this?

    I did use it to scriptout a daily pull of the intelligent updater
from Symantec, and place it into my companies ftp server. But that's
really nothing magical...

    ideas?

--
Cheers,