[nycbug-talk] dhcp routes

George Georgalis george
Wed Apr 6 02:30:04 EDT 2005

On Wed, Apr 06, 2005 at 01:27:01AM -0400, Jesse Callaway wrote:
>On Tuesday 05 April 2005 11:04 pm, George Georgalis says:
>> On Tue, Apr 05, 2005 at 01:27:42PM -0400, Jim Brown wrote:
>> >* George Georgalis <george at galis.org> [2005-04-05 12:51]:

>> >See RFC 1533
>> >http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1533.html
>> >
>> >The gateway option is code 3,
>> >static routes is code 33.
>>
>> <sigh> maybe subnet routing, which is what I need, is too much to ask
>> for in the OS of dedicated hardware devices. Funny the rfc doesn't
>> mention this limitation of the protocol. October 1993, that rfc is
>> an antique!
>>
>> Thanks,
>> // George
>
>You might have to open up some stuff in the firewall ruleset? You might not be
>experiencing a routing problem at all. What's up? What's the goal?

that reasoning has bit me before,

          isp-------------vpn router
         /   \           /          \
        /     \         /            \
       /       \       /              \
 client        gw router---------------device

if the client 192.168.1.100 uses vpn to connect to device 192.168.2.5
and gw router has a route for 192.168.0.0/16 to the vpn router ip, the
device will respond to 192.168.1.0/24 via gw router per dhcp gw, the
response is routed to the vpn router which is waiting for the arp from
the device.... timeout.

so just use the gw router to provide resources local to it, add
the vpn route to the gw router and restrict vpn client subnets to
192.168.0.0/16 minus 192.168.2.0/24

// George

--
George Georgalis, systems architect, administrator Linux BSD IXOYE
http://galis.org/george/ cell:646-331-2027 mailto:george at galis.org