[nycbug-talk] WiFi use liability. . .

Isaac Levy ike
Thu Apr 21 17:21:49 EDT 2005

On Apr 21, 2005, at 4:55 PM, George R. wrote:

> MAC address ACL, WEP/WPA with decent keys, not broadcasting address. .
> . It's not perfect, but it will generally work unless someone really
> knows what they're doing.

<cough>

     Kismet:
     http://www.kismetwireless.net/

     KisMac:
     http://binaervarianz.de/projekte/programmieren/kismac/

</cough>

In all honesty, I've had fairly un-technical clients of mine show me
how exited they were to discover KisMac, so while I agree that someone
has to know what they're doing, and would add that masses of
non-technical people *do* know what they're doing- making MacACL, WEP,
and WPA absolutely worthless.

My .02? strategy, open your AP- and use good secure software.

Rocket-
.ike