[nycbug-talk] WiFi use liability. . .

Isaac Levy ike
Sat Apr 23 21:44:45 EDT 2005

Hi Chris, George,

On Apr 23, 2005, at 8:53 PM, George R. wrote:

> On Apr 23, 2005, at 11:36 AM, csnyder wrote:
>
>> Great thread!
>
> Hmmm. . . I was dropping it since it started to sound like a
> late-night bar argument between ike and i with onlookers who think
> we're crazy. . .
>
> all that was missing was the spilled absolut shots and turned-over
> ashtrays.

That's comin' :)

>> I leave an AP open because I would rather that my neighbors didn't buy
>> their own WiFi equipment and step all over the signal. But maybe I'm
>> confused --  shouldn't multiple APs (and even telephones) be able to
>> share the same frequency?
>
> Yes. . . but AFAIK, there can be issues with too much on the
> frequency. . . particularly with 802.11b.  I think g is much better on
> this stuff. . .

Sadly, it doesn't seem to be.

>> Is this just a bandwidth issue? Or are there actually problems due to
>> radio interference?
>
> Again, AFAIK, if I'm understanding your question correctly, it's not
> about bandwidth, but rather about connectivity between the client and
> the router.

I'd say it's both-

1) The RF signal 'physicality' (coverage area) is one issue I think is
relevant to this whole thing

2) Then there's the network connectivity.

> I would love to hear more input on this. . .
>
> What was that user group in NYC that was big on HAM radios?  Hans? <g>

Packets via HAMs- THAT is cool, albeit unkosher this Passover evening.
Can there be cross-continental bridges using shortwave?  Hot hot hot.
If I meet these people I'll simply never go to sleep again- period :)

Rocket-
.ike