[nycbug-talk] gmail and mutt

Scott Robbins scottro
Sun Aug 7 23:42:03 EDT 2005

On Sun, Aug 07, 2005 at 11:23:04PM -0400, Marc Spitzer wrote:
> On 8/7/05, Jonathan Vanasco <jvanasco at mastersofbranding.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Aug 7, 2005, at 11:04 AM, Francisco Reyes wrote:
> >
> > > For those of us who don't use Gmail.. why can't you send mail out
> > > through your own SMTP and show it as coming from your Gmail account?
> >
> > You can easily do that -- but you run the risk of getting marked as
> > spam (or worse, you could easily get bounced rejected or devnulled)
> > by an MTA that sees your message as a forgery.
>
> One other thing to keep in mind with mutt there is no client side smtp
> so you can not connect to gmails ssmtp server to deliver your mail.
> It is a feature and documented in their faq.

Hrrm, I'm confused here--you mean there's no builtin mutt smtp?  As I
said in my original post, I simply used msmtp, and added a few things to
my .muttngrc, a send2-hook so that if I send from my gmail account (from
my local machine, not using their web) it goes out through their server.

I suspect I'm misunderstanding something you said here though.

At any rate

 (SHAMELESS PLUG)

after spending so much time setting it
up--the actual setup, once I figured it out is very quick, it was finding
an smtp agent that worked easily) I put up a quick web page about it.

http://www.qnd-guides.org/qnd-gmail.html

TOTAL CHANGE OF SUBJECT

By the way, Francisco, if you see this email, I blame you--you
got me back into playing with various window managers now.  :)

You might
like (again, it really depends upon your needs) weewm.  It's another
lightweight WM.  What it has for me, that evilwm doesn't, is the ability
to make a window move the number of pixels that you wish (evilwm seems
set at 16, I can't figure out how to change that) and to run various
apps with keybindings--AFAICT,  evilwm just allows an xterm to open with
a keybinding.  The weewm allows me to bind commands, so I can open up
any application I choose, such as a web browser, with keystrokes.

However, on the machines I'm using, slowest one a lowend MB 700MH AMD
with 512 megs of DDR, neither of the two mentioned here (evilwm and
weewm) give me a feeling of being faster than fluxbox.  Flux does have
my little stupid eye candy, transparent menus.  Also, it allows me to
open a rootmenu, and I don't think the other two do.

- --

Scott Robbins

PGP keyID EB3467D6
( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )

Angel: It's complicated how this all happened, Buffy, you
know. It's kind of a long story.
Buffy: Your new sidekick had a vision, I was in it, you came to
Sunnydale?
Angel: Okay, maybe not that long.