[nycbug-talk] gmail and mutt

Marc Spitzer mspitzer
Mon Aug 8 00:40:24 EDT 2005

On 8/7/05, Scott Robbins <scottro at nyc.rr.com> wrote:

> Hrrm, I'm confused here--you mean there's no builtin mutt smtp?  As I
> said in my original post, I simply used msmtp, and added a few things to
> my .muttngrc, a send2-hook so that if I send from my gmail account (from
> my local machine, not using their web) it goes out through their server.
>
> I suspect I'm misunderstanding something you said here though.

from: http://wiki.mutt.org/index.cgi?MuttFaq/Sendmail

How do I configure Mutt to use a remote SMTP server to send mail?

Mutt can't do so directly (read the MailConcept to understand why this
won't change). You must specify a local MTA to do it. The MTA must
have a sendmail compatible interface to be used with $sendmail. See
LightSMTPagents for which to use, configure, install.

marc