[nycbug-talk] WM flamefest

csnyder chsnyder
Tue Dec 13 11:49:37 EST 2005

On 12/13/05, pete wright <nomadlogic at gmail.com> wrote:
> http://mail.gnome.org/archives/usability/2005-December/msg00021.html
>
> kinda funny, i'd love to hear what Alan Key has to say about this ;)
>
> and here is the kicker:
> http://mail.gnome.org/archives/usability/2005-December/msg00022.html
>
> I guess this is why you don't want coders to do UI.....
>
> -p
>
> <note I support KDE at work, use Gnome/xfce or fvwm personally and
> frankly I think KDE is the hardest WM to support...>

Linus is right of course... every longtime Gnome user has at least one
story of hunting around for "the option that used to be there".

I'm all for simplicity in a user interface, but elegant solutions
still allow access to the complexity underneath. Mozilla's
about:config is a brilliant example -- everything they took out of the
Preferences dialog (and oh so much more) is available for tweaking
through a expert interface.

--
Chris Snyder
http://chxo.com/