[nycbug-talk] httpsd

Charles Sprickman spork
Mon Feb 7 14:04:15 EST 2005

On Mon, 7 Feb 2005, Pete Wright wrote:

> notied some improvements in loading pages....but it was still slow.
> then did what i should have done fromt he get go, ran top while loading
> pages and noticed that impad was maxing out while my INBOX was being
> loaded.  i think this may have to due with my *very* cluttered INBOX.
> i'll post more info when i have it....

Some other quick notes once you get to the root of the problem...

Only load up the php extensions you need; you'll save memory which may
save you from swap and speed things up.  A squirrelmail-only install I run
has the following in extensions.ini:

extension=gettext.so
extension=pcre.so
extension=session.so
extension=mysql.so
extension=zlib.so
extension=sockets.so
extension=imap.so
extension=mhash.so

And again, if this apache process is mainly doing squirrelmail you'll get
a HUGE boost in zippiness with one of the php accelerators.  Zend costs
money, but http://www.php-accelerator.co.uk is free and has been working
great for me.  Very noticeable improvement in squirrelmail with the accel
loaded...

Charles