[nycbug-talk] Re: apache stability

a nice bug nycbug
Mon Jan 24 22:40:45 EST 2005

Jim Brown:
> * Pete Wright <pete at finn.nomadlogic.org> [2005-01-23 21:51]:
> > On Sun, Jan 23, 2005 at 07:15:06PM -0500, Jim Brown wrote:
> > > * lists at genoverly.net <lists at genoverly.net> [2005-01-23 08:04]:

> > > More specifically, it's 1.3.29 and frozen there.  See the slashdot
> > > story at http://apache.slashdot.org/apache/04/06/07/1621254.shtml?tid=2&tid=7
> > > and the OBSD list discussion at
> > > http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/openbsd/2004-06/0448.html
> > >
> > > Bummer...
> > >

> > depending on which side of the debate you are on this may be a good thing.  i'm
> > personally leaning towards this being a good move by the openbsd team, as i really
> > do think the new apache lisc. is much less free than the original lisc.  anyway
> > just my 2bits ;)
> >
> > -p
> >

> I applaud OpenBSD for taking a stance on free licenses, yes.   But I'm
> disappointed as I watch them get further and further away from production
> releases the rest of the world is using.
>
> There is really no good choice here.  OBSD certainly can't spend scarce
> resources to keep Apache (and other good software) up to date in their
> own sources.  But the rest of the world moves on.  Soon, those
> versions will be *way* out of date, and won't work with other software.
> What then?
>
> I'm feeling this pain right now.  I want to put up a web site on OBSD.
> What server should I use?  Apache 1.3.29?  1.3.31?  thttpd?

1.3.33 :)

All of these problems are eliminated if you were to build your
Apache application platform from source code.

It's a little more work, resulting in a lot more control. For an
application as critical (and as modular) as Apache, why be tied to a
ports tree that brings with it G-- knows what political baggage and
dependency limitations? Wouldn't you want full control of your
complex build of Apache/PHP or mod_perl, or _________? As it
appears, a coreteam/ports tree maintenance decision can put an end
to my platform upgrade path essentially overnight.