[nycbug-talk] open source software and licenses

Pastor Mac macuser
Sun Jan 30 19:26:50 EST 2005

I don't know how many here read Bob Cringely's ruminations on the PBS
site <http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/pulpit20050127.html> but I
thought (yeah, I know, that's what I get for thinking) some words from
this week's column referenced above might be intriguing to a few here
for enjoyment, irritation, amusement or whatever:

I wrote that the Mac Mini is destined to be a high definition movie
machine, but the fact is that it will find many uses. Wil Shipley of
Delicious Monster Software (www.delicious-monster.com) sees it as his
ideal server.

"I bought two Mac minis this week -- both will be servers. One is going
to run my company's store. Our new product is a runaway success --
we've sold $350,000 worth of software in the first two months. I say
this not to brag, but to make a point. The store is running on an old
G4 cube. The cube isn't under any kind of load at all. It processes one
sale every five minutes or so. There's absolutely no need for more
store sites to run on a G5. If you're processing a transaction every
second, sure, get a G5. But if you are, chances are good you're a
multi-multi-million dollar business, and you don't care what an Xserve
costs."

"The second box is going to be our source-code server. It's safe as
heck, because OS X includes one-click firewalls. And, again, it's not
like I have so many engineers that we're checking in code every second.
If it processes a transaction every ten minutes, I'll consider our
company very productive. For us little guys, the Mac mini is the
absolute perfect server. I'm hooking up two identical external drives
to each Mac mini (total of four), each two set up as a RAID 1. (Each
drive is slightly bigger than the mini.) The chances of losing data via
disk failure are astronomically low this way. And if a motherboard
crashes, I can swap in the other box -- I have a $500 hot-backup OF THE
WHOLE MACHINE. I have a complete server 'closet' that fits in less than
a cubic foot. It's quiet. It's got a redundant RAID built-in. It's easy
to administer and set up. I share a monitor and keyboard with my main
workstation, so I don't have any extra clutter. Look out, Linux."

Imagine a Mac Minicluster running Apple's xGrid software. Start with a
16-port fast Ethernet switch and stack 16 Mac Minis on top. That's a
720 gigaflop micro-supercomputer that costs less than $9,000, can fit
on a bookshelf, and can be up and running in as little time as it takes
to connect the network cables. High schools will be sequencing genes.

Pax,

Pastor Mac
On OS X

Grace is when life itself is more than good enough.
						--Garrison Keillor