[nycbug-talk] MSNBC on the decline of technology jobs

Isaac Levy ike
Tue Jun 21 20:48:50 EDT 2005

Hi Alex, All,

On Jun 20, 2005, at 4:16 PM, alex at pilosoft.com wrote:

>>   The sad truth is that
>> good and talented people have suffered as well as the charlatans.
> I don't think so. All my clued friends haven't been out of a job for
> more
> than two weeks in last 5 years.

Your in a lucky position then Alex,

> IMHO, people who were weeded out are ones that shouldn't have been in
> this
> industry in the first place.

With all due respect, the last years in NYC have been totally
excruciating for a lot of talented people- in all sorts of contexts- I
personally don't think that's a very cool attitude to take.

Quantitively, I believe your sentiment is wrong- I've seen extremely
talented techs get the axe, while really brain-dead XYZ-certified
people retain their jobs right next to them.

Subjectively, what about the young people who are trying to get more
experience with UNIX/tech?  Who is to say who is and is not supposed to
'be in this industry in the first place'?  You run a company, you hire
who you want- you have your own business needs, that's your domain.
However you can't possibly blanket the entire tech/net industry as
though you understand all contexts, needs, and talents.
Just because I don't understand where someone is coming from doesn't
mean they don't belong in the industry.

--
I'm not blindly saying everyone is on the same level here, but I am
saying everyone is valuable- and I'd like to see more room for new

Just my .02?

Rocket,
.ike