[nycbug-talk] Netinfo Domains in Mac OSX (Panther)

Bjorn Nelson o_sleep
Tue Mar 1 22:25:10 EST 2005

Megan,

> I would like to setup remote homes for users so it is
> transparent to them on their client machines (individual users, not in
> a specific domain yet). I figured the best way to do it was through
> Netinfo Domains. So set one up (pretty easy), I can connect to that
> domain OK, I put it in one client's directory access, but it still
> won't authenticate through a remote netinfo domain. I'm not sure what
> else I'm supposed to turn on. Is it at all supported under panther
> server?

You can set this up using the Workgroup Manager.app Utility.  You are
going to either need to set up nfs or afs.  Have you tested accessing
the directory via:

nidump passwd /
  or
niutil -list / /

/ should give the netinfo exported directory whereas . will give you
the local directory.  Although I am only familiar with Jaguar Server, I
thought Panther Server had gone more the ldap route.

Are the filesystems being mounted in your /Network/Servers folder?
check showmount -e remotemachine

-Bjorn