[nycbug-talk] enterprise bsd

Bjorn Nelson o_sleep
Tue Mar 8 15:51:00 EST 2005

All,

We have some redhat machines at work and I have been starting to use
the up2date and rhn services.  I am impressed with the ease of applying
security updates and it made me wonder what comparable things are
available to the freebsd (or bsd in general) realm.  For freebsd, I
already have an internal cvsup server, I use portupgrade, have exported
/usr/ports/distfiles, debated an export of /usr/ports and /usr/src,
have looked at freebsd-update, debated an export of all of /usr.  I am
trying to find a way to manage a large amount of machines from one
place.  I probably could just write something that sends pkg_version
output somewhere and then I parse that, but is there something already
built?  What have you guys and gals found favorable?  Can anyone
recommend the freebsd-update?  Are the sources trustworthy?

Thanks for any input,
Bjorn