[nycbug-talk] preferred home office 'net connection

Charles Sprickman spork
Fri Mar 11 18:05:22 EST 2005

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005, pete wright wrote:

> On Fri, 2005-03-11 at 17:35 -0500, Charles Sprickman wrote:
>> On Fri, 11 Mar 2005, pete wright wrote:
>>
>>> I guess the main issue I have is that I will have to get a landline
>>> phone connection if I want DSL which might make it too expensive for me
>>> to switch.
>>
>> Not at all!  Covad now has "naked dsl" which is dedicated pair ADSL that
>> does not require an existing POTS line.  The pair is used exclusively for
>> DSL (much like SDSL).
>
> thanks again charles,
> 	I think the ISP i've been checking out requires me to have a POTS line
> for service, well i know they do because I just asked.  I'm checking out
> Covad now...it's a shame that I may not be able to go through a local
> outfit.  altho the prices from covad are not too bad....the plot
> thikens ;)

Oh no, I'm not talking about using Covad direct service, that sucks. :)

You probably have a number of ISPs there that are covad resellers.  Covad
handles the DSL side, the ISP handles the IP/support/services side.  Pop
your address info into DSLReports.com and they should be able to give you
a breakdown of who's around and who the telco party is...

Charles