[nycbug-talk] Fwd: RE: need help asap, will pay, ms vpn client

Okan Demirmen okan
Wed Mar 16 23:10:51 EST 2005

On Wed 2005.03.16 at 17:45 -0500, George Georgalis wrote:
> My preliminary was to do tcp only port forwarding of said ports to a box
> behind it running samba. The client is not able to "browse" discover the
> share, but if the (gateway) hostname, user and password (samba host)
> is specified, the client can mount user homes from the samba server
> through the firewall via tcp only (the protocol calls for tcp and udp
> 137,138,139).
>
> This means, a roaming windows client can setup (putty) ssh -R tunnels to
> a remote gateway which allows for smb connections from localhost to the
> private smbserver. So the roaming client can specify, via "netuse" the
> gateway as the location of their shares and mount the protected samba
> share through the encrypted tunnel.

this may not be much help to your issue, but if are limiting your
roaming clients to smb shares, why even use smb? win2k and above,
osx, and any unix can do webdav. easy to setup on the samba server.
and seemless to the client - looks like a smb share....and all on
one port - 80 (and/or 443).

just $0.02

okan

--