[nycbug-talk] Fwd: RE: need help asap, will pay, ms vpn client

George Georgalis george
Thu Mar 17 19:24:02 EST 2005

On Wed, Mar 16, 2005 at 11:10:51PM -0500, Okan Demirmen wrote:
>On Wed 2005.03.16 at 17:45 -0500, George Georgalis wrote:
>> My preliminary was to do tcp only port forwarding of said ports to a box
>> behind it running samba. The client is not able to "browse" discover the
>> share, but if the (gateway) hostname, user and password (samba host)
>> is specified, the client can mount user homes from the samba server
>> through the firewall via tcp only (the protocol calls for tcp and udp
>> 137,138,139).
>>
>> This means, a roaming windows client can setup (putty) ssh -R tunnels to
>> a remote gateway which allows for smb connections from localhost to the
>> private smbserver. So the roaming client can specify, via "netuse" the
>> gateway as the location of their shares and mount the protected samba
>> share through the encrypted tunnel.
>
>this may not be much help to your issue, but if are limiting your
>roaming clients to smb shares, why even use smb? win2k and above,
>osx, and any unix can do webdav. easy to setup on the samba server.
>and seemless to the client - looks like a smb share....and all on
>one port - 80 (and/or 443).

443/htpasswd/mod_dav is on the gen two plan. I've never build apache2,
and I can expect some trial and error with both apache2 and mod_dav,
but I've got a set of other things that don't give me time in the day
to, well you know, and this is a no mistakes, regulated production
environment.

Anybody want to demo mod_dav and/or write up a cheat sheet? I spent
:20 trying to get apache21 to build on DFLY but there is something
wrong with perl, so I've never had 2.1 up at all...

// George

--
George Georgalis, systems architect, administrator Linux BSD IXOYE
http://galis.org/george/ cell:646-331-2027 mailto:george at galis.org