[nycbug-talk] Fwd: Adaptec AAC raid support

bruno bruno
Mon Mar 21 15:31:10 EST 2005

> What I wonder is if hardware is really the way to go.  What's the
> difference in
> overhead btw say a hardware raid5 and putting the card in jbod mode
> and running
> raidctl.  [ I have not googled this lately ]

If you do need performance software raid is sometimes not enough.

> I am not an expert, and certainly welcome others opinions, but I was
> convinced
> by the above arguement about a year ago and have been setting up
> software raids
> since.  I would sacrifice performance for stability, especially since
> my bet is
> that the performance hit is not so bad.

Sure, also software raid is quite a bit cheaper. It comes back to your
needs, if you need to run 24/7 database with heavy IO, I'd get a
hardware raid. Otherwise, software raid is nice and will work fine.
There are other advantages to hardware raid, like ease of use, easier
OS upgrades, and so on, but that all depends on the context, as
always. Also raidctl can be a pain if your server crashes..

Bruno
--
http://www.loftmail.com