[nycbug-talk] Fwd: Adaptec AAC raid support

Okan Demirmen okan
Mon Mar 21 17:09:07 EST 2005

On Mon 2005.03.21 at 16:57 -0500, bruno wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 21, 2005 at 03:57:28PM -0500, Marco Scoffier wrote:
> > On Mon, Mar 21, 2005 at 03:31:10PM -0500, bruno wrote:
> > >If you do need performance software raid is sometimes not enough.
> > >
> > I was wondering if anyone had numbers on this.  Are we talking +5% cpu
> > utilisation and -5% throughput or +20% and -20% or more ??  Searched
> > a bit for
> > numbers but came up dry.
>
> I don't use numbers and I'm afraid I have none to offer. :) Those are
> more for managers. I've seen visible differences between hardware and
> software RAID, on both PC-like servers and big SUNs.

imho, numbers are not just for managers and the ones putting down
the cash. numbers are important, as you eluded, to the application
and environment. i think numbers can make or break you when it comes
to scaling and all the things one needs to think of whilst researching
the solution for your environment. not picking on you, but "visible"
and "feel" are words i don't like hearing in the context of
hardware/software performance. numbers are key in my book.

$.02

okan

--
Okan Demirmen <okan at demirmen.com>