[nycbug-talk] Fwd: Adaptec AAC raid support

bruno bruno
Mon Mar 21 18:01:35 EST 2005

On Mon, Mar 21, 2005 at 05:09:07PM -0500, Okan Demirmen wrote:
> On Mon 2005.03.21 at 16:57 -0500, bruno wrote:
> > > >
> > > I was wondering if anyone had numbers on this.  Are we talking +5% cpu
> > > utilisation and -5% throughput or +20% and -20% or more ??  Searched
> > > a bit for
> > > numbers but came up dry.
> >
> > I don't use numbers and I'm afraid I have none to offer. :) Those are
> > more for managers. I've seen visible differences between hardware and
> > software RAID, on both PC-like servers and big SUNs.
>
> imho, numbers are not just for managers and the ones putting down
> the cash. numbers are important, as you eluded, to the application
> and environment. i think numbers can make or break you when it comes
> to scaling and all the things one needs to think of whilst researching
> the solution for your environment. not picking on you, but "visible"
> and "feel" are words i don't like hearing in the context of
> hardware/software performance. numbers are key in my book.

Sure. All I gave was my opinion, which you can take for what it is, my
opinion. I'm glad you educated everyone not to base their purchase on
"visible" and "feel" words, that sure was not what I wanted. Perhaps
my post was then useless. I only hoped to help someone. Oh well.

Bruno
--
http://www.loftmail.com