[nycbug-talk] Comcast/Optimum Online, Postfix, and OpenBSD (WAS (No Subject))

Jonathan jonathan
Tue Mar 22 18:44:49 EST 2005

Kevin Reiter wrote:
> On Mar 22, 2005, at 6:07 PM, Jay Savage wrote:
>

>>> I'm wondering if anyone else out there is using optimum online in the
>>> tri-state area?  I recently switched from Earthlink DSL, and I'm
>>> having a devil of a time getting my OpenBSD 3.6 box to relay mail.
>

> They (OptOnline) block ports 25 and 80.  I had my mail server working
> fine for over a year, and one day it just stopped working.  It took me
> awhile to find out the reason behind it.  Unless you have one of their
> business packages, according to their license agreement, you're
> forbidden from running *any* servers.  Of course, there's ways around
> that, but I haven't found a port redirector for mail yet...
>
> Real PITA if you ask me, but since I can't get DSL (too far from the CO)
> it's my only option here in northern Jersey.  If anyone manages to find
> a way around this problem, I'd appreciate being kept in the loop.
>
> Kev

No-IP (no-ip.com) offers "Mail Reflector" services where they will
accept mail on your behalf and then forward it to your own mail server
on a different (not 25) port.  I have not used it myself but the pricing
looks quite reasonable.

Jonathan