[nycbug-talk] Comcast/Optimum Online, Postfix, and OpenBSD (WAS (No Subject))

Kevin Reiter tux
Tue Mar 22 19:50:44 EST 2005

Jay Savage wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 18:26:29 -0500, Kevin Reiter <tux at penguinnetwerx.net> wrote:
>
>>On Mar 22, 2005, at 6:07 PM, Jay Savage wrote:

<snip>

> I understand all that, but I'm don't really care about inbound (yet).
> I'm not trying to connect to my own machine on 25, I'm trying to
> connect out bound to theirs.  With transport set as smtp, the
> connection should appear to them as just another smtp client sending
> mail.  At least I think it should.  I don't have problems connecting
> to mail.optonline.net:25 with any of my other smtp clients or "lite"
> servers written with Net::SMTP, MIME::Lite, or Mail::Mailer.  which
> leads me to believe that this is something in the postfix config,
> especially since returned mail occasionally gets bounced out.  Or
> maybe there is a server that does a better job of presenting itself as
> a an smtp client?  I guess I could set smtp id string to masquerade as
> pine, or outlook,or something.  I'll look into the MTU's, as well.

My apologies for not phrasing my original response correctly.  I should
have said that OptOnline blocks anything outgoing for mail unless it's
to their own servers, or you use a different port.

For example, I have 3 domains that I use mail for.  If I try to use my
domain's outgoing mail server on the standard port, the connection gets
refused, times out, etc.  If I change the outgoing mail to
mail.optonline.net, it goes out just fine.

If I set my outgoing mail server to my domain mail server on a port
other than the default (IMAP, S/IMAP, etc.), it goes out just fine.

Sorry about the confusion earlier - I was on the phone finding out I've
just been made a partner of another company, so I wasn't thinking too
clearly :)

-Kev