[nycbug-talk] java/batik problems

Charles Sprickman spork
Sat Oct 8 17:18:12 EDT 2005

On Fri, 7 Oct 2005, Nikolai N. Fetissov wrote:

> It's not the physical ram, it's the jvm heap size limit.
> Dig around ant config to see if you can increase that.
> I don't have java on a bsd box, this is under gentoo:

That looks very interesting.  I found a "build.sh" file in the build
directory that has a line like this:

build.sh:$JAVA_HOME/bin/java $ANT_OPTS -classpath $CP
org.apache.tools.ant.Main -emacs -Dant.home=$ANT_HOME $TARGET -Dargs="$*"

I tried adding a "-Xmx100000000" (not knowing what units are being used -
bytes, kb, mb...) and it still failed with the same error.  Grepping for
"ANT_OPTS" only turned up the following:

root at blarg[/usr/ports/graphics/batik/work/xml-batik]# grep ANT_OPTS *
build.bat:%JAVA_HOME%\bin\java.exe %ANT_OPTS% -classpath %CP%
org.apache.tools.ant.Main -emacs -Dant.home=. %1 -Dargs="%2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7
%8 %9"
build.sh:$JAVA_HOME/bin/java -Xmx100000000 $ANT_OPTS -classpath $CP
org.apache.tools.ant.Main -emacs -Dant.home=$ANT_HOME $TARGET -Dargs="$*"

I do think you're right though that this is a java issue.  My ulimits show
"unlimited" on everything.

I'll dig around a bit more and see if I can figure out just how the build
process works - I'm totally unfamiliar with java.

thanks,

Charles