[nycbug-talk] Sysadmin Scripting Training

pete wright nomadlogic
Thu Oct 27 12:39:35 EDT 2005

On 10/27/05, Francisco Reyes <lists at natserv.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 26 Oct 2005, pete wright wrote:
>
> > So what do you all think...sysadmin scripting is it a skill that you
> just
> > have to teach yourself or are these online training courses worth it?
> I'm
> > sure there is at least one person here with an opinion on this ;^)
>

> I think learning in general is a case by case scenario. Some people will
> learn from a class better while others would learn more by solving
> problems. The question you should be asking yourself is how do YOU learn
> best.
>
> Personally I learn best from doing a task and finding simmilar programs on
> the net.. or from books.. it depends on the task at hand.
>
> Coding type of tasks.. I learn best by doing...
> Admin type of tasks I find books very helpfull and help me save a lot of
> time.

Yea I agree with you regarding it being a case by case basis. I'm more of a
"tactile kenetic learner" or one that needs to actually experience things
first hand to understand them(at least that's what they told me when i was
failing out of grade school ;).

I guess what I should have asked is if people have had any experience with
these online training courses. From what I know about these guy's I think
they would do OK in a structured environment, but what I *don't* know is if
these courses are just online tutorials that cost money.

-pete

--
~~o0OO0o~~
Pete Wright