[nycbug-talk] Dynamic DNS MX Records

Jonathan jonathan
Wed Jan 18 04:13:26 EST 2006

Ray Lai wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 17, 2006 at 08:32:28PM +0300, Jonathan wrote:
>> I've been running my mail server on a dynamic IP for over a year now
>> without problems.  I have my domain, DNS service and backup MX through
>> no-ip.com for a pretty reasonable price.  It's cheap enough that I don't
>> even remember how much it is, I just renew each year when it expires.  I
>> would guess about $75 a year or so.
>
> Hi Jonathan,
>
> How often does your IP change and how much mail do you get?  Thanks.

Not all that often, I've been on a couple of different networks and it's
changes anywhere from weekly to every 3 months.  The main thing that
makes it work for me is the backup MX service because then if my IP
changes or I have to take the server offline no-ip will hold all my mail
for (I think) 5 days by default.  I moved my server 1/3 of the way
across the country and didn't lose any email at all.  With all the
mailing lists I'm on I would guess 100-150+ emails a day, most of it
legit.  I don't get much spam (yet) thankfully.

Jonathan