[nycbug-talk] greylisting proxies?

Jonathan nycbug-list at 2xlp.com
Sun Oct 1 02:12:04 EDT 2006

On Oct 1, 2006, at 12:04 AM, Charles Sprickman wrote:

> I'm currently stuck with my decision to run qmail in many places. :)
HA HA

> So far none of the qmail implementations (all 2 of them) look very
> good.
What have you looked at?

Have you seen this:
	http://projects.puremagic.com/greylisting/links.html

googling it, i found about 5.

anyways....

> I'm not real crazy about any of those really either.  Looks like
> none can
> deal with SSL+SMTP-AUTH.
>
> I wonder how hard it would be to stick Postfix in front of Qmail?

I'm not sure about Postfix instead of qmail... but it would be very
easy to stick Exim in front of qmail.  Googling this, I actually
found a few people talking about using Exim in front of Postfix to
get greylisting done.

There are about 6 greylisting implementations in Exim in various
stages of stability.  Some are in C, while others make use of the
embedded perl/python interpreter options.  Some use external  DBs
(well 'real' dbs like pg, which you can have several boxes connect to
in a cluster ) , while others use  local dbs ( bdb / dbm / etc )

I came across Exim a few years ago by chance- I knew postfix, Bob
knew qmail , he said "lets both try something new".  He was my boss,
so we did.

I love exim.  Its a great app: small , fast, and as secure as the
rest.  It's the most (and easiest) configurable by far, and has
plenty of hooks to run c filters, pipe to scripts/daemons , and the
option to embed perl/python.  It's also ridiculously well maintained,
and I can't remember when there was a critical security issue or
bug.  The main disadvantage to running exim is that it is designed
for immediate delivery, not queued mail -- but since you'd be using
it as a proxy, you should never run into that.