[nycbug-talk] greylisting proxies?

Charles Sprickman spork at bway.net
Sun Oct 1 21:26:31 EDT 2006

On Sun, 1 Oct 2006, Jonathan wrote:

> On Oct 1, 2006, at 12:04 AM, Charles Sprickman wrote:
>
>> I'm currently stuck with my decision to run qmail in many places. :)
> HA HA
>
>> So far none of the qmail implementations (all 2 of them) look very
>> good.
> What have you looked at?
>
> Have you seen this:
> 	http://projects.puremagic.com/greylisting/links.html
>
> googling it, i found about 5.

Oops.  I was looking at another list that claimed to be "authoritative"
and all it had were some nasty perl implementations.  This one look
promising.  It doesn't do the triplet thing, but it is simple and his
example shows that it works with qmail+vpopmail, which is a requirement
for me.  It also does not entail patching qmail:

http://oss.albawaba.com/cqgreylist.html

This one might be promising as well:

http://qgreylist-pgsql.sourceforge.net/

I am looking at moving vpopmail to using pgsql for the backend instead of
mysql because mysql keeps biting me in the ass on FreeBSD.

Thanks for pointing me to the puremagic site, not sure how I missed it.
I'm going to start fiddling with cqgreylist on my personal mailserver this
week.

> anyways....
>
>> I'm not real crazy about any of those really either.  Looks like
>> none can
>> deal with SSL+SMTP-AUTH.
>>
>> I wonder how hard it would be to stick Postfix in front of Qmail?
>
> I'm not sure about Postfix instead of qmail... but it would be very
> easy to stick Exim in front of qmail.  Googling this, I actually
> found a few people talking about using Exim in front of Postfix to
> get greylisting done.

Interesting, but my mind is too full of other junk ("jack of all trades,
master of none").  I have trouble right now going back and forth between
mysql and pgsql.  :)

Thanks for the input, it's very much appreciated.

Charles