[nycbug-talk] [Semi OT] Convention help

Charles Sprickman spork at bway.net
Mon Oct 9 18:02:48 EDT 2006

On Mon, 9 Oct 2006, Jonathan Stewart wrote:

> Does anyone have any suggestions as far as where to stay?  I did see the
> list linked from the convention site and if anyone would recommend any
> specific hotels from that list or elsewhere it would be appreciated.  A
> couch to crash on would be cool too if someone doesn't mind ;)

Be prepared to pay big $$ if you want a nearby hotel.  I live in Jersey
and recently got married, so I thought, "what the hell, I'll get a hotel"
- idea being that if I'm already in NYC I might make it on-time.  In the
past I've snagged decent rooms for $100 or less using priceline.

I tried that again with the search restricted to Priceline's Upper West
Side, then Upper East Side, then Central Park South, then Midtown East.  I
was trying to avoid the "tourist" area...  No dice at $130 in any of those
areas.  I finally added the financial district and got something here:

http://exchangehotel.com/

Seems like a really nice place with excellent reviews on TripAdvisor.com.

But that's going to be one hell of a subway ride. :)  Still better than
driving in two days.

I think Priceline is pretty safe, they generally don't put crappy hotels
in there unless you dip below 2.5 *'s.  And my failure to win a bid for
UWS area the other night is NO indication that someone else couldn't win
today - inventory fluctuates from day to day.

http://www.biddingfortravel.com/ has recent auction results for Priceline,
which is handy.

As for parking, just assume that's extra.  There's a lot under the church
that's just NW of the NW corner of the Columbia campus.  I think I paid
under $30 for a day's parking last year.

Charles