[nycbug-talk] [Semi OT] Convention help

George R. george at sddi.net
Tue Oct 10 14:02:56 EDT 2006

Charles Sprickman wrote:
> On Mon, 9 Oct 2006, Jonathan Stewart wrote:
>
>> Does anyone have any suggestions as far as where to stay?  I did see the
>> list linked from the convention site and if anyone would recommend any
>> specific hotels from that list or elsewhere it would be appreciated.  A
>> couch to crash on would be cool too if someone doesn't mind ;)
>
> Be prepared to pay big $$ if you want a nearby hotel.  I live in Jersey
> and recently got married, so I thought, "what the hell, I'll get a hotel"
> - idea being that if I'm already in NYC I might make it on-time.  In the
> past I've snagged decent rooms for $100 or less using priceline.
>
> I tried that again with the search restricted to Priceline's Upper West
> Side, then Upper East Side, then Central Park South, then Midtown East.  I
> was trying to avoid the "tourist" area...  No dice at $130 in any of those
> areas.  I finally added the financial district and got something here:
>
> http://exchangehotel.com/
>
> Seems like a really nice place with excellent reviews on TripAdvisor.com.
>
> But that's going to be one hell of a subway ride. :)  Still better than
> driving in two days.
>
> I think Priceline is pretty safe, they generally don't put crappy hotels
> in there unless you dip below 2.5 *'s.  And my failure to win a bid for
> UWS area the other night is NO indication that someone else couldn't win
> today - inventory fluctuates from day to day.
>
> http://www.biddingfortravel.com/ has recent auction results for Priceline,
> which is handy.
>
> As for parking, just assume that's extra.  There's a lot under the church
> that's just NW of the NW corner of the Columbia campus.  I think I paid
> under $30 for a day's parking last year.
>
> Charles

I would think the hostel is the best option for housing . . . We'd have
loved to make a deal with Columbia for on campus dorms. . . but of
course school is in session then.

http://www.columbia.edu/cu/bahai/hotel.html

It probably makes sense to drive to an area accessible by public
transportation, leave the car, then use the hostel.  Although I've never
stayed in it.

Anyone in NJ or Westchester close to public transportation with free
parking near them have any input?