[nycbug-talk] MySQL and FreeBSD 6.0

Hans Zaunere lists at zaunere.com
Wed Oct 18 22:03:33 EDT 2006

Hi Chris,

Chris Buechler wrote on Tuesday, October 17, 2006 4:05 PM:
> Hans Zaunere wrote:
> > I'm seeing MySQL randomly crash - especially as concurrent
> > connections increases.  Anyone with other experiences with FreeBSD
> > 6.0 and MySQL, either good or bad?
> >

> Not much different from 4.x and 5.x, in my experience.  Of about 8
> jails I run with MySQL, I see roughly 3-4 crashes a year.  The
> frequency hasn't changed from 4.x to 5.x to 6.x, for me.  Doesn't
> seem to be load related at all (one of those hosts pfsense, which hit
> the front page of Slashdot, OSNews, and Digg all on the same day,
> along with a lot of other press over the weekend with the 1.0
> release, and stood up to the subsequent heavy beating with no
> problems).
>
>  From what I've seen, it's very random, and it happens so infrequently
> that I haven't bothered to look into it.  I've never seen frequent
> MySQL crashes on FreeBSD.  You sure your hardware (RAM, et. al.) are
> OK?

We haven't done a RAM check, but these are three boxes - two new and one
older - so it's be strange.

Unfortunately I've seen frequent crashes on FreeBSD 4.x without using
LinuxThreads, especially under heavy load - MySQL heavy load that is.  With
LinuxThreads, problem solved.

I had hoped that 6.x would resolve these issues with a new threading lib,
but apparently there are still some issues.  Keep an eye on your concurrent
connections to MySQL - when it's highest, it's likely when it crashes.

Some more digging to try to resolve this problem reveals some issues - on
AMD64 - and other platforms:

http://bugs.mysql.com/bug.php?id=19496

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2006-August/127824.html

http://bugs.mysql.com/bug.php?id=12251