[nycbug-talk] ZFS committed to FreeBSD base.

Steven Kreuzer skreuzer at f2o.org
Fri Apr 6 12:09:06 EDT 2007

Thought I would post this to the list since there has been alot of
talk about ZFS.

ZFS support was just commited to HEAD as an experimental feature and
will be available in 7.0-RELEASE

 From the commit log:

   Please welcome ZFS - The last word in file systems.

   ZFS file system was ported from OpenSolaris operating system. The
code
   in under CDDL license.

   I'd like to thank all SUN developers that created this great piece of
   software.

   Supported by: Wheel LTD (http://www.wheel.pl/)
   Supported by: The FreeBSD Foundation (http://
www.freebsdfoundation.org/)
   Supported by: Sentex (http://www.sentex.net/)

Limitations.

   Currently ZFS is only compiled as kernel module and is only available
   for i386 architecture. Amd64 should be available very soon, the other
   archs will come later, as we implement needed atomic operations.

Missing functionality.

   - We don't have iSCSI target daemon in the tree, so sharing ZVOLs via
     iSCSI is also not supported at this point. This should be fixed in
     the future, we may also add support for sharing ZVOLs over ggate.
   - There is no support for ACLs and extended attributes.
   - There is no support for booting off of ZFS file system.

Other than that, ZFS should be fully-functional.

Lets give a very big round of applause for Pawel Jakub Dawidek.

SK