[nycbug-talk] ZFS committed to FreeBSD base.

Pete Wright pete at nomadlogic.org
Sat Apr 7 14:35:02 EDT 2007

On Fri, Apr 06, 2007 at 03:02:57PM -0400, Charles Sprickman wrote:
> On Fri, 6 Apr 2007, Steven Kreuzer wrote:
>
> > Thought I would post this to the list since there has been alot of
> > talk about ZFS.
> >
> > ZFS support was just commited to HEAD as an experimental feature and
> > will be available in 7.0-RELEASE
> [...]
> >   - There is no support for booting off of ZFS file system.
>
> For anyone who's following this closely, is bootable ZFS supposed to
> eventually make it's way into 7.x, or will that be for 8.x?

there are a couple things preventing this from happening currently -
i'll spare talk@ the details as you can get them from the current@ list.
in a nut shell:

-zfs is available only as a .ko
-zfs needs to read files in /etc/ so the FreeBSD bootloader will need to
be modified for that to work.

yea i'm pretty excited for sure - i'd like to get this working with
FreeNAS :)

-p

--
~~oO00Oo~~