[nycbug-talk] fetchmail pointers

Johnny C. Lam jlam at pkgsrc.org
Mon Apr 23 11:59:39 EDT 2007

Peter Wright wrote:
> 1) any known gotcha's with using fetchmail with exchanges broken IMAP
> implementation (i.e. non-standards compliant implementation)

You can always fall back to using POP if Exchange supports it.

> 2) ideally i'd like to be able to sync b/w my exchange mail store and my
> fetchmail/imapd store.  i.e. - i delete from my fetchmail'd account and
> those changes get pushed to exchange.  this one is asking a bit much - but
> was hoping someone had run into this problem before.

Fetchmail doesn't work in this way; it just grabs mail from the source
and dumps it to the sink account that you specify.  Regardless of
whether you're using POP or IMAP, I believe you can configure fetchmail
to delete the message from the server after it's been fetched so you
don't have duplicate mails.

You might want to look at imapsync instead for what you're trying to do:

     http://directory.fsf.org/imapsync.html

It says it supports MS Exchange 5.5 and Courier-IMAP.

	Cheers,

	-- Johnny Lam <jlam at pkgsrc.org>