[nycbug-talk] fetchmail pointers

Peter Wright pete at nomadlogic.org
Mon Apr 23 11:30:13 EDT 2007

> Hi peter!  I'm currently using the uw-imapd server combined with
> fetchmail for my home mail.  The setup is quite simple:
>
> client (running Apple Mail) ----> server running imapd and fetchmail
> -----> internet
>
> the server in the middle runs fetchmail and the mail is delivered to
> that local user's inbox (mbox format).  by default, the imap server
> uses the user's inbox as the imap inbox.
>
> The biggest drawback is the delay inherent in this setup.  Fetchmail
> runs every 30 seconds, and checks 2 accounts (one with my old ISP and
> one with my own domain).  It's really not a big deal for me, but I know
> some people want instant notice of mail arriving :)
>
> Installing fetchmail and imapd on your mac will probably work just
> fine.  Although you could also enable imap on the exchange server.
>
> Anyway, I'd be glad to provide you with more details.

(please don't top post - no biggie but it helps others on this list.  see
the guideline section at:

Thanks Andy - I'm pretty comfortable with setting up IMAP and SMTP servers
- guess I should have been more specific.

1) any known gotcha's with using fetchmail with exchanges broken IMAP
implementation (i.e. non-standards compliant implementation)

2) ideally i'd like to be able to sync b/w my exchange mail store and my
fetchmail/imapd store.  i.e. - i delete from my fetchmail'd account and
those changes get pushed to exchange.  this one is asking a bit much - but
was hoping someone had run into this problem before.

imapd is enabled on our exchange server and is what most of us use - but
it's basicly broken (no offence to NT admins out there - it's just the
microsoft imap implementation does not work).

-p