[nycbug-talk] IPv6 NY-US Roll Call

Isaac Levy ike at lesmuug.org
Fri Mar 23 08:45:59 EDT 2007

On Mar 22, 2007, at 6:47 PM, Peter Wright wrote:

>> deep_blue at sebek.org wrote:
>>> Is there any other advantage to IPv6 other than virtually unlimited
>>> addresses?  Not that I am trivializing that fact.
>>
>> Wikipedia explains it better than I can.  One upside/downside I will
>> mention here is that it eliminates the need for NAT, the downside of
>> this is people can't rely on NAT to work as a firewall and need to
>> configure a proper one.
>>

> heck, i'd consider that an upside as well - a NAT should never take
> the
> place of a firewall IMHO.

Agreed- but this means that we have to get networks, vendors, and
applications ready to deal with these changes...

It's not hard if we fundamentally start thinking of each node in our
private IPv4 networks, as being publicly addressable...  (I said it's
not hard, but it's a tedious paradigm shift...)

Rocket-
.ike