[nycbug-talk] Good unmanaged switch brands

Isaac Levy ike at lesmuug.org
Thu Oct 11 17:54:18 EDT 2007

Word,  Iraq?!  Wow,

On Oct 11, 2007, at 5:33 PM, Jonathan Stewart wrote:

> I'm looking at buying 4 or 5 8-16 port unmanaged switches for
> setting up
> shared satellite internet access in Iraq and I was wondering if people
> had any preferred brands.

I've deployed TONS of the little Netgear swtitches, in various sizes
and in very different networks, and they've all been insanely great-
(e.g. I don't think about them, they just work...)

All the current GigE switches do jumbo frames, so this is a non-issue...

> The switches themselves will be in air
> conditioned living areas so heat should not be a problem.  There is
> 110
> and 220 available but dual power capable is still preferred.

Hrm... Wall-warts for the small ones seem to only do 110, but you
could perhaps buy comparable 220 wall -warts that output the same, at
a cheap price?  (Radio Shack or Mouser Electronics?)

> I'll be honest, my main concern is price but I do still want something
> reasonably reliable with a decent warranty if possible.  The desktop 8
> port switches actually seem to have the best price per port and I am
> leaning towards more smaller switches to save on cable run lengths.
>
> I just saw this [1] on Newegg, 24 port managed switch but open box for
> $206.  Anyone ever do open box from Newegg, is this something worth
> buying?

Did a open-box once from Newegg on a wireless access point, it was no
big deal... but I guess it depends on the stuff...

> Browsing some more they seem to have quite a few open box high
> port count switches, here is the search link I was using [2]
>
> Thank you,
> Jonathan Stewart
>
> [1] http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817111491R
> [2] http://tinyurl.com/3a68e8